What can a young lady do on a Sunday afternoon if she's alone in the city because husband is gone with work abroad, brother is in a team building in a beautiful mountain resort and her best friend is attending a wedding? She goes to a movie, of course! Well, the kind of a movie I saw on a sunny September afternoon was a combination of humor, which I didn't expect given the philosophic title of the movie and the realities within the institution of the Romanian Orthodox Church.
The director is Daniel Sandu, a former student to become priest, who was disappointed about what he studied in the 90' years in Romania that he gave up priesthood in favour of becoming a director. The movie's title is ''A step behind the Seraphs". When I got home I searched all the information available on the director on the internet and one of his quotes drew my attention: "Both the director and the priest tell interesting and convincing stories". Then my astrologer mind started to ask itself what is it in a natal chart that makes a native to want to become a priest?
Having this in mind I started to think of a study which would lead me to final conclusions about the astrological predispositions which a native should have in a natal chart in order for him to become a good priest. I searched for definitions of various mystic terms from the point of view of astrology and then I gathered data from the natal charts of important cleric figures from both Orthodox and Catholic Church (the position of each planet in sign and house; I used the whole signs system house).
According to the dictionary of astrology by Rodica Purniche mysticism in a natal chart is related to:
- powerful influence of Neptune, Uranus, probably the moon and most probably very powerful Pluto
- Houses 9 and 12 important
- Ruler of Ascendant, Sun or most of the planets in House 9 or in the sign of Sagittarius
- Water and Air signs powerful, Earth signs weak in the natal chart
- Important: good aspects of Mercury so that the native has the ability to judge well in a religious and spiritual manner; a weak and affected Mercury can make the native to deviate easily towards fanatism and sectarianism (these aspects can lead the native towards fake spiritual paths)
The same dictionary gives us the following astrological definition of the religion:
- it is related to the House 9
- Jupiter, in terms of power (especially the power of faith) and decisional power, in the sense that the native has a religious career and occupies a leading position
- Neptune (for mystics), Saturn (for monastic life)
- The persons whose thee shows dissonances between Venus and Neptune can live the experience of their artistic or religious sublimation
- the Religious power is in harmonic aspects between Jupiter, MC and Neptune (to be considered with caution as the appearance is presented in the themes of all persons born during this period
For the definition of a faithful person we may encounter the following:
- Strong Jupiter in House 9, well-held by aspects or well placed in signs
- Saturn in good aspects with the Ruler of the ninth House
- Mars weakened or in good aspects with Jupiter or the Ruler of the Ninth House
I analysed natal charts of both Romanian important church figures (among them Father Arsenie Boca, Daniel - the current Romanian Patriarch) and Catholic Church figures (Pope Benedict, Mother Theresa) and also two Romanian priests I personally know and for whom the priesthood is indeed a vocation, as they are gifted.
I concluded that:
- in over 60% of the cases the Sun is positioned in water signs, followed by earth with 20% and air and fire, each with 10%
- Mars in weakened either by sign (in detriment) or by aspects and in most of the cases is in air signs
- the North Node is mostly in water and air signs while Jupiter (religious believes) is in water and fire signs.
- Pluto is in air and water signs.